March 21, 2010

Stress tips from the stressed...

The end of my first year of CreComm is quickly coming to an end, and a small part of me is glad. I have loved every minute of my time at Red River, but I need to reacquaint myself with sleep. The last month has been especially stressful, and I have definitely seen the worst in myself. I am a very organized person, so when I get stressed things must be busy...

Below is a list of the things I have learned and the revelations I have made along the way:

1) Get a BlackBerry. Trust me, it's worth the money. I can't even begin to measure how many hours I have saved since I bought one. Actually, I'm typing this blog in my BlackBerry right now, and I will copy and paste it later. I have on occasion forgotten it is a cellphone, but that's just a detail.

2) Eating an apple every day is key. Eating on the run is a fact of life, but when you get really busy, remember an apple. Throw one in your bag in the morning, and you'll eat it later. Apparently an apple gives you more of a boost than a cup of coffee!

3) Don't underestimate a good yoga pose. Taking a moment to stretch and breathe can really change your mindset. It doesn't have to be a yoga pose... bust out the "running man" if the situation seems right.

4) Look up. People forget that they are still living life when they are busy. Don't ever forget to be a part of the world even if you don't have time to sleep. And don't take out your frustration on the person who is making your coffee or serving you dinner. They are busy people too.

5) Don't forget your family. Even if you just take a moment to ask about someones day, they will appreciate the gesture. Hug your mom, joke with your dad. They just want to know you are alright.

6) Laugh and make it fun. No matter what you are doing, try to have a good time doing it. That goes for anything... even grocery shopping.

I hope some of these tips are helpful. It's hard to try and be happy when times are stressful and life is busy. But something else will always come up, and the only way to get through it is to relax, take a moment, and stop to smell the roses once in awhile...

Written by Amanda Hope, self-proclaimed stress case...

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Not your standard "tips," but they are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom22/3/10 9:37 AM

    Good advice. Remember to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie Gail25/3/10 2:10 PM

    During sleep the body cycles through 2 hours of sleep & 20 min. of refreshing REM. A psychologist said that for optimum efficiency we should try to maintain the same cycle during waking hours, except it's 2 hours of work & 20 min. of solitary relaxation. Easier said & done & I'm not saying I follow it, but it makes sense to me. Now if I could just put it into practice . . .

    ReplyDelete